TR Lab x AI 2041: Everything You Need to Know
From Joining the Whitelist to Participating in Auctions, here’s the fine print.
We are incredibly pleased to be working with some of the most talented artists in the traditional and digital art worlds who all share a common interest in artificial intelligence — and how this technology will change our world in the next two decades.
The TR Lab x AI 2041 series will feature a weekly drop of artworks from renowned artists. Each drop will vary in edition size and pricing, and will either be a limited edition sale or an auction, and sometimes may feature both.
EDIT: As of 11/15/21, the Weekly Schedule has changed to allow for a longer auction period. Please see this article for details: Updated Timeline.
The AI 2041 series will last from October 24, 2021, through December 18, 2021. The process for each week is as follows:
- Sunday @10 AM ET | TR Lab will tease the identity of the artist for the upcoming week
- Monday @10 AM ET | TR Lab will officially announce the artist of the week, as well as the artwork and drop details (i.e. edition size, mint or auction)
- Monday 10 AM — Wednesday 11:59 AM ET | Participants in both the Reserved Whitelist and General Whitelist groups will have 50 hours to enter in the raffle for the week’s drop. Winners will be confirmed 12 hours after the raffles close
- Wednesday @11:59 PM ET | Raffle winners will be confirmed, and entrants can check their status on the TR Lab website
- Thursday 10:00 AM — Friday 9:59 AM ET| Raffle winners will have 24 hours during the Whitelist Access Sale to mint their piece on the TR Lab website. After that point, all remaining pieces will be made available on a first-come, first-serve basis to anyone in the general public.
Note: there is the possibility of a one-week respite during this two-month span to accommodate the schedules of the artists we have partnered with.
There will be no Whitelist process on weeks when the drop is only an auction and doesn’t include a sale (decided in conjunction with the artists we have partnered with).
Joining The Whitelist For AI 2041
We’ve chosen to conduct the AI 2041 series drops in a way that rewards our earliest supporters, facilitates active engagement from the general community, and minimizes senseless waste of ETH in gas wars. TR Lab will work with each week’s artist to determine the edition size of each drop. The maximum supply of each drop will first be made available via two whitelist raffles, then will open for public sale:
- General Whitelist | This Whitelist is intended to in the TR Lab Discord. 60% of each drop’s maximum supply will be made available to successful entries in the General Whitelist. Active participation is required from general members by cracking the code with clues left by the TR Lab team throughout the week.
- Reserved Whitelist | This Whitelist is intended to reward TR Lab’s earliest supporters, specifically the holders of our genesis drop, Cai Guo-Qiang’s Exploding the Self (https://opensea.io/collection/trlab). 40% of each drop’s maximum supply will be made available only to eligible entries in the Reserved Whitelist. TR Lab Genesis (Exploding The Self) Owners must participate by filling out a Gleam form.
- Public Sale | Only unclaimed mints from both the Reserved Whitelist and General Whitelist will be made available via a first-come, first-serve public sale.
Drop Details And Fine Print
EDIT: As of 11/15/21, the Whitelist details have changed to better reward true fans of the artist, and further dissuade bots and flippers. Please see this article for details: General Whitelist Updates.
We’re proud to have partnered with such a wide range of renowned artists who believe in our platform and burgeoning community. The mechanics of our drops were designed to be as fair as possible, while still recognizing our early supporters and active community members. See more details about the AI 2041 series drops below:
General Whitelist Raffle Protocol | 60% of the supply for each applicable drop
- In addition to wallet address and Discord and Twitter verification, eligible General Whitelist entries must contain the correct secret code.
- The code will be split into three parts that will be revealed throughout the week. It’s up to each collector to piece together and submit the code.
Reserved Whitelist Raffle Protocol | 40% of the supply for each applicable drop
- Eligible entries must contain a wallet address holding a TR Lab Genesis piece, along with Discord and Twitter verification details. Each Sunday at 11:59 PM ET, TR Lab will take a snapshot of all wallets holding TR Lab Genesis pieces — and only those wallets will be eligible to enter onto the Reserved Whitelist for that week’s drop.
- To maximize the chances of active TR Lab Genesis owners winning a successful Reserved Whitelist entry, no TR Lab Genesis Owner can win two consecutive Reserved Whitelist raffles in a row. Tracking of this will be done through the edition number of the TR Lab Genesis NFT, to prevent any circumvention of procedures.
- Participation in the weekly activities to gather the secret code is not mandatory, but always encouraged. TR Lab Genesis owners can always participate in the General Whitelist raffle. For example, they can win a Reserved Whitelist raffle in Week 1, and still be eligible to win a General Whitelist raffle in Week 2.
For avoidance of doubt, the TR Lab team will be checking successful entries for redundancy between the Reserved Whitelist and General Whitelist. If a TR Lab Genesis owner is successful in both the Reserved Whitelist and General Whitelist, they will be awarded a mint in the Reserved Whitelist (40% of total supply).
Please only apply to a Whitelist if you intend to purchase the artwork. We will be automatically disqualifying wallets from the next sale if it qualifies for whitelist the prior week and doesn’t purchase.
Please note you will only be allowed to enter the raffle once per week. Therefore you should ensure your answers–including the secret code in the General Whitelist competition–are correct before submitting.
Check your entry. All raffle entrants can check to see if they’ve won on the TR Lab website. If you see the below green badge under the Buy Now button, you are confirmed to be eligible to mint a piece before the public sale.
Disposition on Drop Mechanics
Ensuring that the work from our incredible line-up of artists is distributed in an equitable, provable manner is just as important to us as the AI 2041 series artwork itself.
TR Lab will be making use of Gleam.io as an intake tool for entries to both Whitelist raffles, which will require Twitter and Discord verification from entrants. The raffle selection process will be entirely on-chain and 100% transparent.
We have also been firm in our intent to reward our earliest supporters–the TR Lab Genesis Owners–during the AI 2041 series and thereafter. Key benefits enjoyed by them in these drops include:
- 40% of the supply in each week’s drop will be reserved for Genesis owners.
- Participation in the Reserved Whitelist raffle is as simple as owning an Exploding the Self piece and filling out basic details in the Gleam form on a weekly basis.
While we seek to reward our initial supporters, we also believe in welcoming new ones so we can build a large, thriving community open to all who share our passion for art and technology. 60% of the supply in each drop will be available to members who do not own a TR Lab Genesis piece. Eligible entrants will have to show that they are active contributors by participating in events to piece together the secret code. If they’re successful throughout the process, they’ll enjoy a comfortable 24 hours to mint their piece and avoid gas spikes and competition in speed.
How To Participate In An Auction
AI 2041 Auctions | On-Chain And Anonymous
TR Lab’s auctions for the AI 2041 series will take place completely on-chain, driven by smart contracts. Ethereum is used for pricing, which will save any unnecessary gas fees. We want to encourage anyone with a wallet to participate in the auction. In particular, we are focused on reducing the impact of gas fees generated by each bid.
Timing of Auctions
TR Lab is based on the block time of the Ethereum block, not traditional clock time. The sale will only begin when the latest block time of ETH reaches the sale start time. The block time of the blockchain is uncertain because it changes, but the current average block time is about 13 seconds (https://etherscan.io/chart/blocktime).
For example, you are able to calculate the time of block 13558087 at https://etherscan.io/block/countdown/13558087.
There will be instances where the clock time has reached the sale start time, but the latest block time has not yet reached the start time. In this case, you will need to wait for the next block to start before you can begin bidding. At the time of this writing, that can account for an additional 13-second delay.
After the countdown, the page will automatically update. When the next Ethereum block has arrived, the auction will start on the page automatically. The start of the auction is controlled by smart contracts. Regardless of how long it takes to wait for the next block, it is the same and fair to every collector.
When the Ethereum block has arrived, collectors will be able to bid on the page. The length of our auctions is 24 hours.
Prior to the auction, the timer on the artwork page will count down to the start of bidding. Once the auction begins, the timer will indicate the time remaining.
- Bids placed during an auction cannot be withdrawn or canceled
- Bids will be accepted in the order they are received, and the highest bidder will win the auction
- There is no reserve price to be met, but there will be a minimum bid
- Participants must place bids at least 5% higher than the current bid
- After participants place a bid, their wallet will prompt them to confirm the transaction and pay a gas fee to complete the process. The funds will then be taken out of their wallet and placed in escrow in TR Lab’s smart contract. If they’re outbid, funds will be deposited back into their wallet
- If a new bid is placed during the last 15 minutes before the auction closes, the auction will be extended by 15 additional minutes. This process will repeat until there are no additional bids
- Participants will be notified via email when a bid is successfully placed, or if they’re outbid by another bidder
- The winning bidder will see a “Claim your NFT” button on the artwork page. By clicking it, they will invoke the smart contract and mint the NFT. Their wallet will prompt them to confirm the transaction and pay a gas fee to complete the process. The newly minted NFT will be directly transferred into the winner’s wallet
- The winner will also be responsible for any transaction fees and local taxes incurred, as detailed in our Terms of Sale.